How to be low impact/zero waste whilst maintaining an active lifestyle.
If sports training is a part of your daily routine you don’t need to let your zero-waste ethos take a hit. Here are some simple switches you can make to become a more eco-friendly, low impact athlete:
· Reusable water bottle (we use a stainless steel Chilly's bottle)
· Meal prep containers & utensils (we use a mix of stainless steel ones alongside plastic tupperware we've had for years which will then be recycled and replaced with stainless steel ones once they're done - remember it's about reusing what you've already got until it can't be reused any longer)
· Travel coffee cup (for pre or post training coffee/green tea)
· Mini bottle for freshly squeezed fruit juice
· Home made snacks in greaseproof paper (protein balls, bars)
· Guppy bag (for washing clothes & towel so microfibres aren't released as sports clothes tend to be polyester)
· Soap, shampoo & conditioner bars in travel tins
· Recycled toiletries bag (ours is from a small brand called Trucks, and is made from the inner tubes of tyres)
· Deodorant bar
· Jamboo headphones (made from bamboo and the wires are wrapped with cotton thread)
· Cork Yoga mat – Yoloha Cork Mat (made from cork & eco-friendly foam)
· Organic cotton or linen towel
· Recycled Goggles – Zoggs Ecolast (made from ocean waste)
· Silicone swim cap (silicone is made from Silica which is found in sand, is BPA free, isn't toxic to humans nor aquatic life or the oceans, and is easily recycled.)
· Swimsuit - Brands like Woron make their swimsuits out of recycled plastic waste, and Marble Swimwear produce ethically made swimsuits made out of sustainably sourced material.
· Organic gym clothing – Brands such as CarrotBananaPeach, BAM Bamboo Clothing, and Organic Basics offer high quality gymwear made using sustainable materials, and Tala offers gym & leisurewear made using recycled off-cuts.
If you can think of anything else to keep this list growing then add it below in the comments!